How to Bake Chicken
Want to know how to bake chicken? It is easy. Chicken can be baked as a whole bird or in pieces. There are diverse ways to season the chicken and your selections will determine the flavors in the dish.
Whenever you are baking chicken, it is always best to leave the skin on, even if you are baking breasts, to prevent the meat from drying out. The skin sealed in the chicken juice, and allows the oven to cook the chicken in its own juice, leaving the chicken moist, tender and juicy.
It is great to know how to bake chicken because it enables you to prepare a healthy but delicious dish for your family dinner.
Total Time: 1 hr 50 mins
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1hr 30 mins
Ready to learn how to bake chicken?
See the ingredients you'll need
1 broiler-fryer chicken, whole or cut up
Salt to taste and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 crushed pimento seeds
3 gloves of crushed garlic
Fresh or dried herbs such as oregano, thyme, tarragon or rosemary
Instructions on how to bake chicken
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Remove the giblets or gut from the cavity if you are using a whole chicken. Rinse the chicken in a basin of cool water mixed with 1 teaspoon vinegar. Pat it dry with paper towels and season the whole chicken inside and outside with salt and freshly ground black pepper, pimento seed, garlic and herbs.
3. Place the chicken in a large baking pan enough to hold the chicken comfortably, with the breast side up. Rub with olive oil or pour a marinade over the chicken if desired.
4. Bake, uncovered for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the skin is golden brown and the meat is cooked through.
5. After 1 hour of baking, use a meat thermometer to check the temperature. The breast of the chicken needs to have an internal temperature of 170 degrees and the thighs 180 degrees for safe consumption.
6. The thermometer should be inserted into the fleshiest part of the breast and the deepest part of the thigh of the whole chicken.
7. You can also use a knife to slit into the chicken to check for doneness. The best place to check a whole bird is by cutting the joint connecting the leg to the body. If the meat is no longer pink and juices run clear, you know it is done.
Let chicken cool for 15 minutes before carving.
I believe that knowing how to bake a chicken is the most important and basic skill to possess as a home cook. Understanding this basic cooking method means you can prepare a variety of dishes. Here are a few tips to help you become a great at home cook.
Tips on how to bake chicken
1. Rub the chicken with a variety of different seasonings before baking. Let the seasonings marinate for a few hours before placing the whole chicken or chicken pieces into the oven.
2. The use of garlic tenderizes and add flavor to the chicken.
3. To remove the raw taste of the meat, squeeze a lemon over the chicken (and inside the cavity of a whole chicken) or wash the chicken in cold water mixed with 1 teaspoon vinegar before you cook it.
4. Lemon slices can also be placed in the baking pan or slipped under the skin of the bird. This same method can be used with garlic and other seasonings. Seasoning should be placed on the skin and on the bird’s flesh under the skin, in order to give the meat the most flavorful end result.
5. Whole baked chickens can be prepared with an easy wine glaze. Mix melted butter, white wine, salt, pepper, and other seasonings in a small bowl. Using a pastry or basting brush, apply the mixture to the bird every 10 minutes for the last 30 minutes of cooking. The glaze will add moisture and flavor and the skin will shine when done.
6. Clean everything that the raw chicken touches to avoid contamination.
7. Partially cooked chicken is not safe to eat. Bones in chicken parts are cooked when juices run clear and a meat thermometer shows they have reached the desired internal temperature.
Return from How to bake Chicken to Baked Chicken Breast Recipes